Sep 17, 2012

My rudimentary palette swap code is complete!
*queue thunder clap*

Theatrics aside, I've figured out how to modify the palette of a 4-color GIF file. It's the first step in incorporating palette swapping. The problem is I have no idea how to go about that. Changing the GIF's palette is fine, but I still have to change the sprite colors and tile colors and all that. My basic test involved a tile sheet. Unfortunately, a single tile in a room can have up to four palettes associated with it. Performing a palette swap on each and every tile every step is unfeasible, even with the aid of an attribute table. And sprites... I don't even want to think about sprites.

So excuse me while my abominable creation chokes the happiness out of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Fellow Hacker10/02/2012

    Theou Aegis,

    I've just found your blog today; what a wonderful account of your work! I've been hacking away at CV3 in isolation for a few months, just to dissect the game and perhaps create a FOSS reVamp-like tool. Thus far I had focused mainly on documenting the RAM, since my primary utility is mednafen. I found your post describing the RAM and ROM addresses to be most useful.

    I'll be back once I have compared your list of RAM addresses with my own, and I will share anything that I can. Until then, keep up the good work!

    --Fellow Hacker

    ReplyDelete

©TheouAegis Productions™. Powered by Blogger.