Nov 23, 2022

One of CV3j's programmers was overly cautious ( >,>)..oO

In CV3j (and somewhere in CV3u, I presume), at address $01:8547 the program checks if the player has a partner; if not, the code advances the lowest substate in order to advance the sequence. This happens when Trevor agrees to take one of the other characters as a partner. There is just one slight issue here: the code will not run if Trevor is alone. In other words, if the code is running, it is guaranteed that Trevor has a partner and thus the substate-skipping code is never run. 

When I see code like this, I can't help but think about Noboyuki Matsushima, one of Capcom's programmers who was overly cautious. I'm not suggesting CV3's code was as critically slow as Matsushima's - I don't know enough about coding to make such assumptions. I just mean there are pieces of code scattered throughout the program FCEUX has failed to map because they simply cannot be reached by normal means. As such, the conditionals which branch to said unreachables are frivolously (albeit negligibly) slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

©TheouAegis Productions™. Powered by Blogger.